How do I interpret the Vegetation Index?
Granular Insights satellite imagery uses millions of hectares of data from paddock tests, images and agronomic models to produce the Vegetation Index that helps you visualize crop progress. These insights are valuable throughout the growing season.
During Pre-Canopy, it’s valuable to quantify the impact of critical decisions like replanting, irrigation, herbicide applications, and addressing the impacts of mechanical issues with clear Granular Insights satellite imagery. The industry-leading Vegetation Index helps you track crop variability and prioritize the areas that need attention first.
- Early Weed Detection: Look for areas of relatively high health in the Vegetation Index, this can indicate weeds that are flourishing in your paddock.
- Poor Germination/Replant Decisions: These are areas of low health in Vegetation Index, and the images can help you make a timely replant decision.
- Mechanical Issues: Watch for repetitive patterns, striping, or straight lines that may have been caused by a planter skipping or a sprayer malfunction.
- Irrigation: Look for areas of relatively high or low health in the Vegetation Index, as these can indicate over- or under-watering as a result of irrigation equipment issues. Issues may include broken equipment, blocked nozzles, leaks or water overtopping ridges in furrow irrigation.
The human eye is no match for Granular Insights satellite imagery — pinpoint potential issues before they become bigger problems.
- Nutrient Deficiencies: Follow the topography to track areas of low health in Vegetation Index that may indicate loss due to environmental conditions or soil constraints.
- Missed Input Applications: Watch for repetitive patterns, striping, or straight lines that may have been caused by a sprayer or irrigator malfunction.
- Pest/Disease Issues: Localized but irregular areas of low health in the Vegetation Index.
- Product Trials: Easily measure results of product or variety trials in your paddocks.
Granular Insights satellite imagery helps you direct your paddock monitoring activities to save you time.
- Fungicide Decisions: Watch for areas of low health in the Vegetation Index to make application decisions due to disease pressures.
- Nitrogen Decisions: Make targeted point-in-time decisions for rescue applications.
- Weather Events: Monitor recovery from past versus present weather events, or use Vegetation Index to calculate the financial impact of a weather event.
- Yield Checks: Use imagery to quantify low, medium and high health areas to get an accurate yield estimate earlier for competitive grain marketing and planning for grain storage.
Harvest & Beyond
Unleash the power of your data by using your Granular Insights data to better plan for the next season:
- Crop Marketing: make more accurate yield estimates to take advantage of competitive marketing opportunities earlier in the season.
- Management Practices: adjust tiling, tillage, irrigation, and cover decisions based on trends visible in Vegetation Index.
- Fertility: make plans for timing, type, and rate of products based on impact visible in imagery.
- Crop: make rotation decisions based on performance and health quantified in imagery.
- Variety: base decisions on clear product trial outcomes to maximize future performance.
- Population: vary seeding rates based on historical imagery.
How do I add paddocks to my Granular Insights account?
How do I manage account access for users of my operation in Granular Insights?
How do I use Granular Insights to monitor in-paddock more efficiently?
How do I access my Granular Insights imagery without internet or cellular reception?